Other Earths

Illustrating Universes Known and Imagined

Moderator: Moderators

Windwalker
Site Admin

Other Earths

Post by Windwalker »

There has been enormous excitement recently over the discovery of an Earth-like planet circling red dwarf Gliese 581. The NASA site has a lovely picture of what sunset might look like on that planet: Sunset on Gliese 581c. Incidentally, this site is really unequalled for both art renditions and photos of the universe.
For I come from an ardent race
That has subsisted on defiance and visions.

intrigued_scribe

Post by intrigued_scribe »

This is truly a stunning image! Aside from it being both a result of and impetus for exploration, I can easily envision this providing further inspiration for possible visions from other worlds. Thanks for sharing this with us!

Heather

Windwalker
Site Admin

Post by Windwalker »

intrigued_scribe wrote:...both a result of and impetus for exploration...
I love this phrase! (*smiles*) And I couldn't agree more. There is something incredibly absorbing and compelling about imagining other worlds and their inhabitants.

Windwalker
Site Admin

Post by Windwalker »

Larry sent a link to more stunning artistic images of the Gliese planets by Don Dixon, which includes a marvelous animation: http://www.cosmographica.com/gallery/ex ... index.html

intrigued_scribe

Beautiful; every bit as lovely and arresting as the image of the Gliese planets that came before! Thank you for sharing this link, Athena. :)

Heather

Windwalker
Site Admin

Colors on other worlds

Post by Windwalker »

If there is life on other worlds, its colors will reflect the particulars of their stars and planets. Here is a post in another blog that contains an image of how plants might look elsewhere. The shapes are clearly terrestrial, but the colors are interesting: http://www.centauri-dreams.org/?p=1320

intrigued_scribe

This is also wonderful imagery, which further encourages the creation of imaginative concepts. Many thanks for sharing this, as well! :)

Heather

fallen angel

Post by fallen angel »

Can you imagine swimming in the oceans where there are two moons?! The waves would be magnificent, personally I'd love offering my sunset prayers on the shore. Thanks Cpt. for posting the link.
Raging waves of the sea, foaming out their own shame; wandering stars, to whom is reserved the blackness of darkness for ever

Windwalker
Site Admin

Post by Windwalker »

fallen angel wrote:can you imagine swimming in the oceans where there are two moons?! the waves would be magnificent.
I recall that when I crossed the Equator for the first time and saw new constellations while being at the Barrier Reef, I felt a frisson -- it was as if I was on an alien planet, under strange skies. I can only imagine how it would be to look up and see two moons and a completely strange sky, to look around and see different colors and shapes.

You should write poetry, Angel.

fallen angel

Post by fallen angel »

I would be a shame to all great poets, if I even tried lol. Regardless Cpt., thank you for the compliment. Sadly it has also been mentioned before that I should write poetry.
Raging waves of the sea, foaming out their own shame; wandering stars, to whom is reserved the blackness of darkness for ever