Alexander, son of Philip

Reviews, Recommendations, Pans

Moderator: Moderators

intrigued_scribe

Post by intrigued_scribe »

Thanks for another excellent rec. :) I'll definitely have to give this one a look as well.

Heather

Marie

Desert Queen

Post by Marie »

The book came Saturday and I am already about 30% through. An absolutely intriguing woman with character, strength, fervor, ambition, ideals and smart too! (from Oxford this lady emerged) Definately not one of those vapid, vaporour, Victorian virgins.

Again, thanks Athena for not steering me wrong. The is an excellent read.

Marie

Windwalker
Site Admin

Re: Desert Queen

Post by Windwalker »

Marie wrote: An absolutely intriguing woman.
That she most certainly was. There were others like her, indomitable adventurers and/or explorers: Janet Digby and Alexandra David-Néel, to name just two. The latter managed to reach Lhasa when it was closed to foreigners, a goal that many men failed to attain. Her journeys are described in The Alluring Target by Kenneth Wimmel (another great read, about the 19th and 20th century explorers of the Silk Road).
Last edited by Windwalker on Tue May 22, 2007 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For I come from an ardent race
That has subsisted on defiance and visions.

Windwalker
Site Admin

Post by Windwalker »

Postscript: Amazingly, none of these remarkable lifestories has ever been made into film. Just like Alexander's life, that of Gertrude Bell or Alexandra David-Néel could become epics brimming with exotic locations, marvelous cultures and derring-do, none of it made up! I could easily see Judy Davis, Cate Blanchett or Tilda Swinton in the role of Gertrude Bell.
For I come from an ardent race
That has subsisted on defiance and visions.

intrigued_scribe

Post by intrigued_scribe »

I can easily envision either the life of Gertrude Bell or Alexandra David-Neel being made into gripping epic films. Also, the actresses named would be excellent choices. :)

Heather